Monday, August 20, 2012

Marathon

From what I hear about running a marathon--which, unless God moves His arm in a truly miraculous way, I will never, ever do in this lifetime--runners eventually hit a "wall". The cheering crowds are gone. The muscle stores are finished. Maybe you're running through the ugly part of town. You wonder if you can take another step. The fatigue is overwhelming, I've heard. Your brain is thinking, what was I thinking?

I've heard that about month six of missionary life. Watch out for month six, everybody's said. It can be a real bummer.

Well. They may be right. Maybe my "ugly part of town" is getting hit by a boda driver, or having a couple of friends' homes broken into. And after six months of chugging away at this, I sometimes hear my muscles saying Must. Lay. Down.

Today has been a good day. But it's been among days where the running feels long. The temptation to emotionally, physically, or spiritually fold is persistent.

Thanks for those of you who keep praying for us. God's strength is being made perfect in weakness--ours.

Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:11,12, 21

No comments: