Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thanks for praying!

Here and there you've asked me about last Saturday, and the incredible opportunities there for this nation with such a history of brokenness and violence. Thank you so much for praying!
 
It was a very African day--as in the conference began approximately two hours late, and there was ululation and dancing and a lot of sitting and sweating! And we ate gravy with bread and fingers, rather than silverware, which shows you that I still have to adjust my cultural expectations after nearly three years in this country. (It was good!) I also was intrigued simply because I have never been in this sort of training where people responded that in conflict, they typically take it to their tribe's elders...another interesting cultural note, and one for which I have a great deal of respect. I have never been translated into Arabic before, and have never translated my PowerPoint, which is probably why its translation was so dubious.
 
All of the information--material which I love so much (thank you, Peacemakers!)--seemed to be well received, for which I am so grateful after having to hurriedly condense my notes and adjust my expectations on the length of African-sized discussion time. The discussion did go well—well, the ones I could keep, given the time limits. I can still see what I wish I would have spoken differently, and pretty much fell facedown on the bed in fatigue when I arrived home to my American house. I'm praying for God to somehow multiply what I was able to communicate.
 
One heart-rending e-mail expressed, I must confess that the session has made me understand how frequent i have caused pain to others even in silence. May God bless as you deliver his children. I am so grateful that God does continue to deliver us from ourselves--and may He continue to do this in sweeping waves for the people of Sudan.

All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself
and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:18




No comments: