Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Don't have a hernia


Great news today: I don't have a hernia. Come to think of it, you probably don't have one either. More great news! 

I'll save you some scrolling--no, you were not supposed to know I might have a hernia. I was just a wee bit concerned about the tender lump I found in my lower abdomen Saturday; it felt about the size of J.'s fist. And after a jaunt to the Surgery following church, I was awarded with my very own ultrasound appointment.
 
Not a big deal, and I'm not huge on posting intimate medical details on the internet. But in the midst of a series of setbacks this past weekend, surgery in a developing country on a yet-unknown-lump was just not sounding as fun as it might have on some other day.
 
Anyway, my little nugget is just a fluid-filled series of sacs-within-a-sac. At this point, we’re going to let it go. Depending on what’s in the sacs, my body may absorb it all on its own. If not, they can drain them (easily) or remove the outer sac (more complicated). The doctor seemed to indicate that this all fell within the "weird but not abnormal" category.

I'll take a get-out-of-surgery free card any day of the week, and am hopeful that this will be a non-issue in a couple of weeks. I’d thought my little knot felt smaller, but maybe I’m just self-soothing J. Also in good news, it was my cheapest sonogram ever: 24 bucks!
 
I will take that non-hernia and run with it.

No comments: