Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What we're up to, and how you can pray--part three

Well, the life-altering adventure that is teaching the YMCA Institute Wandegeya commenced again last Thursday. I will admit to arriving a little bruised and skeptical, glancing around campus with a mental eyebrow turned down toward a pair of pursed lips. But still, the situation called for great faith.

Thankfully, a whole lotta things went a whole lot better. I have 40 (as opposed to 90) students. Even more, they’re all diploma students (as opposed to certificate students), so at first outlook, these ladies have greater dedication, training, personal investment, and caliber  that requires less cultural translation on my part in such a brief time. All in all, I’m energized that they seemed able to understand me and seemed engaged, even enthusiastic? the whole time. I’ve unquestionably learned a lot too, so being a veteran with more reasonable expectations and costly experiences has been a happy little surprise...not to mention considerably less labor intensive.

Little things gave some sizable relief: no gymnasium-sized classroom with six other simultaneous classes in it (or the obligatory I-shouted-across-the-room-for-a-couple-of-hours sore throat). Room between the desks instead of traipsing across the chairs oh-so-delicately in my skirt.  An unlocked classroom two flights up instead of six. The right person who tells when the term really does start, really does end, and really doesn't have class. It's little perks that make the difference, folks!

Pray for me tomorrow, if you would. It’s my class at where I’ll make the connection between showing students grace, undeserved favor...and connecting all that to the fact that we can't earn favor with God, but Jesus earned it for us. I get to show them what's changed my life. I get to share the Gospel (woot, woot)! 

Thank you, friends, for sending us here.

To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador…that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. (Eph. 6:18-20)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Janel and John! Thanks for the update.

-Rory and Christa